Thursday, November 20, 2008

Yad Vashem

The last time I was in Israel, it was 1980. Suffice it to say that the country has changed - physically, politically, environmentally, sociologically, psychologically ....

However, the commitment to history, rememberance and honor have remained core to the Israeli culture. The investment in Yad Vashem - the renovation, expansion and creation of a study center - has been extensive. With 51 acres atop one of the hills of Jerusalem, a visit to Yad Vashem is quiet, beautiful, poignant, moving, impactful, life-changing.

I spent the better part of 5 hours there moving from indoor exhibit to outdoor space. I moved through, and was moved by, the Holocaust History Museum. I wept in the Hall of Names. I was struck breathless by the Children's Memorial. I strolled in amazement through the Avenue of the Righteous Among the Nations. I was inspired by the Monument to the Jewish Soldiers and Partisans who fought against Nazi Germany. I was humbled by the Valley of the Communities and the loss it represents.

More than anything, I mourned the fact that my family was not there to experience it with me. When my 7 year old son is 10, I want to come back and share this country with my family.

Our Picasa site has a combined gallery of my Yad Vashem pictures along with Robert Port's and Bob Tucker's.

David Taylor-Klaus
Team Atlanta

No comments: